Saturday, June 27, 2009

I’m (Edie) not very good at expressing myself with words….especially when the words I’m looking for reflect the things that have touched me the most. I am so incredibly thankful for the opportunity of being with the “Crossing the Mekong” group, and for learning and experiencing all that we did. There are so many memories and moments that I will carry with me forever. There are memories that I hope will change me forever. The Cambodian genocide has touched me deeply. To hear the story of our tour guide first hand while standing in the courtyard of the facility that once housed thousands of Cambodians before they were slaughtered, and now houses their pictures and stories in a museum, was so overwhelming. To play with the children left behind from this tragedy… to talk and interact with the orphaned… to see their spirit and hear their dreams was so encouraging. I am going to choose the better words of a songwriter to express what it all means to me. The following is part of a song called, “I Saw What I Saw” by Sara Groves, who wrote these words after a similar visit to Rwanda.

I saw what I saw and I can't forget it
I heard what I heard and I can't go back
I know what I know and I can't deny it

Something on the road, cut me to the soul
Your pain has changed me
Your dream inspires
Your face a memory
Your hope a fire
Your courage asks me
What I'm afraid of
(what I am made of)
And what I know of love

~Edie

No comments:

Post a Comment